Eat 'n Write : The Thirty-Six

If you asked me to pick a favourite cafe in Medan (Medan, Indonesia. This is where I'm currently living), I would proba...


If you asked me to pick a favourite cafe in Medan (Medan, Indonesia. This is where I'm currently living), I would probably pick The Thirty-Six, and you'll know why in a minute. Well, "The Thirty-Six" is sort of mouthful, I usually just call it 36, for short. There was a time where I would hang out here, more or less twice in a week, afternoon or evening. Not only do they serve the finest french fries dishes, the ambiance itself is very welcoming. The clean splash of white paints on the walls with the contrasting black painted frames on the windows, the concrete floors, the rustic wooden decor, they set the perfect balance of that warehouse and homey vibes. Which is exactly what I like. Not to mention the lighting. The lighting in the afternoon is just perfect. I know it isn't a big deal if your main purpose is to just solely enjoy the food, but if you are one of those people love to snap some pics while you are at it, you would feel me. 

The menu compiles of a good variation of dishes, ranging from the all spicy Indonesian platter to salads, pastas and fries. Oh don't even get me started on the french fries. I may not have tried all of the french fries dishes on the menu, because I'm more like the stick-to-one-dish-all-the-time kinda gal, but I just have to say that the "Poutine" is to die for. It is such a shame that it was out of order when I was there, because it would be great to have a picture to put on that name. But you can just google it, if you are that curious. Anyway, I ended up ordering Spaghetti Aglio Olio, which plenty of my friends swear by. Let me just say that I have never been a huge fan of Spaghetti Aglio Olio, so there is a high margin of error when I say that I wasn't completely satisfied with it. It might have been a little bland for my taste, but I don't know. It could be just me. I only ordered it because I was intrigued by the raves. But, all in all, they do serve pretty mean dishes there, definitely worth the price. 

Drinks wise, they are pretty well known for their coffees I guess. But since I am not a coffee person, I would usually lean towards the teas. On other days, you would find me ordering a cup of Earl grey tea, but that day? I just couldn't go for a warm cup of tea. It was too hot of a day for that. Hence, the cold drink. Helena. That's what its called. A burst of honey and lemon, accompanied by aloe vera dices in a cold jar of soda. Very refreshing for a scorching hot day.

As I mentioned, I have been going here for like ages, so you can trust me when I say that the service is pretty decent. I'm not talking about like 2 minutes orders arrival, because that's just insane, that just doesn't happen unless you are in a fast food chain. I'm talking about not having to wait for an hour for a single scoop of ice cream, which trust me, has happened to me and my friends before in one of the restaurants in town, that of course, I prefer not to mention. 

Alright, I feel like this post has gotten a little bit too chatty and lengthy, so I should probably end this. Oh and if you are drawn by that pile of goodness, the Aburi Baked Fries. Head over to Food Journal, where my friend did a review of it. Should I finish this off with some ratings? I probably should. 

Menu : 4/5
Interior/Atmosphere : 5/5
Service : 4/5

This has been fun, tell me what you think of this new blog series! If there's any suggestion, I'd love to know!
xx

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. looks like a great place..

    visit mine,
    Miss Aa

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward for more episodes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures you took of the food. The lighting in the restaurant really is great! I've never heard of Spaghetti Aglio Olio, but I can see how it might be a little bland to some since there doesn't seem to be a lot of sauce on it. Look forward to more posts from this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The place looks breath-taking, great pics btw

    Shalay,
    itsjustshalay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete